ホロコースト: Holocaust

10:11 PM Unknown 1 Comments


While reading Maus, one quote really me stop momentarily – “maybe they’ll need a newer, bigger Holocaust” (Maus II). 
Our unit on Maus arrived at a good time, as I can draw many connections to the Holocaust mentioned in the comic – as strange as that sounds. For one, it’s right after the summer I participated in Ride to Freedom, a project that raised awareness about China's persecution of Falun Gong through the form of a cross-country bike journey. For another, it landed right before my annual trip to California, in which thousands of Falun Gong practitioners from around the world flock together to combine their efforts in spreading word about the unjust persecution.

Falun Gong meditation
This whole summer, while participating in Ride to Freedom, I’ve said “there is a peaceful meditation practice called Falun Gong that has been brutally persecuted in China since 1999, and it needs to stop” at least a couple hundred times, if not more. But since I’ve returned home, I’ve said that important sentence far too few times. When people ask me what I did over the summer, I say, “Oh, just a cross-country bike ride” without revealing even a bit about my motivation behind it. When people ask me why I’m randomly skipping school to take a short trip to Los Angeles, I say, “Oh, just attending a conference” without even mentioning Falun Gong and the atrocities committed against it.

The Ride to Freedom team!
I am a Falun Gong practitioner, but I often wonder why I try so hard to hide this part of my identity. My friend Kristine has been basically worshipped since she broke news of participating in Ride to Freedom. Is it because I feel like my friends and teachers don’t really care? My friend Flora has been relentless about spreading the word to everyone she meets – her teachers, her neighbors, even the lady she sat next to on the flight home – and has been welcomed by them all. Is it because I feel like I will come off as too pushy? My friend Borong has alerted numerous government officials and potential sponsors about the sequel ride in 2016, and has gathered much support. Is it because I feel like my words will be pointless?
I think mostly it’s because I feel like I won’t be able to express myself clearly and fully. There’s really so much that needs to be known – the accurate characteristics of the practice, the severity of the sudden crackdown, the efforts that are being taken to end the persecution – I’m not sure if I will be able to say all that I need to say without becoming excessively verbose. I can identify with the Spiegelmans of both generations. With the elder, the fact that “it would take many books” (Maus I) to tell the entire scope of the persecution. With the younger, the fear of creating a false perception equivalent to “the racist caricature of the miserly old Jew” (Maus I) by not telling enough.
But whatever I have been and am doing, or rather, have not been and am not doing, about it, I have no doubts as to what I should be doing. This genocide of Falun Gong practitioners at the hands of the Chinese Communist Party is akin to the genocide of Jews at the hands of Hitler. It’s a second Holocaust; I must pull my weight in stopping it.

"Maybe they need a newer, bigger Holocaust" (Maus II)

1 comment:

  1. How interesting. Linking your life with Maus. Great synthesis and good luck with your practice! Don't stress too much we all love you!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.