嘘: Lie

11:22 PM Unknown 0 Comments


Troy has always been the ideal place to live. It’s not a large city, but close enough to one to not be estranged from popular entertainment. It’s not farmland either, but it’s not difficult to drive a half hour to an apple orchard, if you really wanted to.  There isn’t an overbearing homogeneity in the population, yet for the amount of racial differences, resulting conflicts are surprisingly few. The weather can get nasty sometimes, but Troy residents can always expect sunny days. There’s no smog, so you can see the sky. The school district is stellar. The people are kind.
  Yet, recently, a murder occurred in Troy, in the neighborhood in which I once lived, in which I once played.
I first heard it being discussed among students in my computer science class. “Did you hear about the murder?” one asked another. I took it to be just another murder that occurred somewhere in the world. I ignored it.
“I live down the street from them,” the other said. I jolted.
In retrospect, I wonder why I reacted so differently when I learned it had occurred in my own community. I’ve heard a few versions of the story, but one fact remains glaringly clear: two young children have been left motherless, and that makes my heart ache. Yet I know for a fact that if this woman had been murdered anywhere else, my brow would not be furrowed as harshly as it is now.
After I learned the entire story from the students sitting behind me, the first one spoke again. “You know, this just bumped Troy down so many places in the safest cities ranking.” It reflected badly on the esteemed safety of Troy, just like the white man who raped his foster daughter on Sherman Alexie’s reservation reflected badly on the morals of the Indian community. Yet both are outliers, inaccurate representations of the respective community and the people in it. Troy is not a city full of murderers any more than the Indian reservation is a community full of rapists and boys who “start drinking real young.”
At least we have mayor Slater asserting that the murder was “not a reflection of the community,” and nobody’s going to believe that Troy is suddenly a terrible place because this murder happened. For Alexie’s reservation, however, there’s nobody to dispel the false perceptions.

0 comments:

Powered by Blogger.